We are a California nonprofit public benefit corporation.

EIN: 26-3847946

One-time donation.

Monthly, recurring donation.

Choose amount, then click "subscribe".











Did you know the following?

  • About 5%-10% of our members receive scholarships, thanks to your generous donations. The other 90%-95% pay our standard rates.

  • Before approval, all scholarship candidates are carefully reviewed by our Board of Directors.

  • All of our scholarship recipients are on partial scholarships, rather than full scholarships. Thus, they are also contributing monetarily to the mission of our organization.


From a past fundraising letter...

"The Art of Peace begins with you. Work on yourself and your appointed task in the Art of Peace. Foster peace in your own life and then apply the Art to all that you encounter."~ Morihei Ueshiba "The Art of Peace"


In Japan, traditionally, a martial arts dojo was not seen as a commercial venture. It was a place to shape youth into contributing and upstanding members of society and offer further growth and development (both spiritual and physical) to those older, already established members of society. In other words, a dojo was a place where boys and girls learned manners, honor, and sportsmanship; teens were guided in their transition to adulthood; adults could maintain spiritual and physical well-being; and the sickly could build a healthy constitution.

Since 1996 Aikido Kenkyukai International, USA (AKI USA) has been providing exactly this sort of center to the members of our community, both young and old. Our primary purpose has never wavered.

AKI USA has "stepped up" when we saw a need in the community, from conducting AiKi Conflict Transformation Workshops at the Women's Jail in Goleta in 2000, to offering sponsorships and sliding scale membership to low-income families since the economic downturn a few years ago.

Thanks to your support, 2014 was a fantastic year for us. Here are a few of the highlights:

  • The Grand Opening of our Los Angeles dojo was honored by a visit by Takeda Yoshinobu Shihan, the Director and Founder of our umbrella organization, headquartered in Yokohama, Japan. The seminar attracted visitors from Japan, South America, Canada, and of course various cities within the USA.

  • Hosted and collaborated with internationally renowned instructors of other affiliations.

  • Held the first-ever “Young Camp” with instructors from Central and South California.

  • Created new relationships with European dojos, laying the foundation for collaborative seminars and events in 2015

  • Laid the groundwork for an international Uchi Deshi (“Live-in Student”) Program, linking our USA and Japan branches with our new Swiss friends.

Why support Aikido Kenkyukai...?

  • Aikido Kenkyukai is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. This way, students can be clear that their personal growth, not their money, is paramount to us. It is with this intention that AKSB has been traditionally run since its official founding in 1999.
  • Aikido, "The Art of Peace", offers tools for the peaceful resolution of conflict, helping to put an end to violence in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles.
  • Aikido Kenkyukai partners with various local agencies, such as Santa Barbara Judo Foundation, Casa de la Raza, Police Activities League, etc. to offer its programs to all local children who wish to participate, regardless of socioeconomic status.
  • Aikido Kenkyukai offers sliding scale fees and sponsorships to children from qualifying low-income families
  • Aikido Kenkyukai offers sliding scale fees, internships, and mentoring to qualifying US Military Veterans. Our program aids veterans in areas such as resumé development and finding employment, ameliorating combat-related illnesses, such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), etc.

Mission

Our mission at Aikido Kenkyukai is to pass down the true message of Aikido "The Art of Peace", and to nurture a better society by creating individuals of responsibility, compassion, judgement, and character.